LAS VEGAS (CES BOOTH #14200), Jan. 9, 2012 – Sony today unveiled a lineup of Handycam® camcorders that make it easy to capture your precious memories in high-quality full HD video and still photography.
Handycam Highlights: Next Level Image Stabilization and Built-in Video Projector
Topping Sony's industry-leading high definition lineup are the video enthusiast-level consumer camcorders, HDR-PJ760V and HDR-PJ710V, which capture full HD 24p and 60p recording with 24.1-megapixel still images. A newly developed standout feature is Balanced Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization which controls the entire optical path, including the image sensor, as one floating unit to enable image stabilization that is 13 times more stable than its predecessor (compared to standard mode of HDR-CX700V). Balanced Optical SteadyShot advantages apply to the full zoom range from wide to telephoto, making it much easier to shoot crisp blur-free images in a range of challenging situations. Other new features include Wide Angle (26.0mm) Carl Zeiss Lens, tilting Electronic View Finder (HDR-PJ760V), and 17x extended zoom.
Creating a new standard in video playback, the Handycam camcorders with a built-in video projector expand to a family of five this year. The ultimate viewing experience comes alive with a unique compact, LED-based projector built into the flip-out LCD panel. Select models can now project video and images up to 100" diagonal (from a distance of 5m) onto walls, ceilings, or other flat surfaces offering a high sensitivity microphone and premium audio with an advanced sound processor to realize Closer Voice and Auto Wind Noise Reduction.
Along with hallmark Handycam features like "Exmor R" CMOS image sensor, the high-end camcorders borrow from Sony's professional products to provide advanced features such as Manual Control (Iris/Shutter/Exposure/White Balance), CinemaTone Gamma and CinemaTone Color presets, Expanded Focus, Zebra and Peaking settings for more precise video expressions.
The camcorders are also compatible with a new optional LED Video Light (model HVL-LE1) which realizes more nuanced lighting when shooting videos. Equipped with up to 60 pieces of high brightness powered LED elements, the video light can accommodate variable lighting angles, vertical or horizontal, and brightness as well as a colour conversion filter and diffuser. A multi-purpose "Multipod," VCT-MP1, combines the portability of a monopod with the added versatility for stable long-hour shooting. Coupling the Multipod with a support case, mini tripod and other accessories, it can achieve various shooting needs.
"We're constantly pushing the limits on how camcorders can perform and this lineup builds nicely upon what you've seen from us in the past," said Masayuki Yao, Director of Digital Imaging at Sony
Double Full HD 3D
After breaking ground with the world's first "Double Full HD" 3D consumer camcorder, Sony has returned with a feature-rich 3D product in the HDR-TD20V camcorder. Once again the camcorder employs an integrated dual lens system, which includes two of each key component - double Sony Wide Angle G Lenses, double "Exmor R" CMOS image sensors, and double BIONZ® image processors, but this time in a much smaller package. The HDR-TD20V is 2/3 the size of its predecessor weighing only 1.02 lbs and measuring 2.5" x 2.875" x 5.25" (H x W x D). Its improved 3D depth adjustment delivers natural 3D images, while the camcorder's optimum distance between each lens delivers a very realistic stereoscopic effect.
The dual recording system allows 3D content to be captured in 1920x1080 full HD resolution and viewed on the device's built-in glasses-free 3.5-inch Xtra Fine LCD™ 3D touch screen or with 3D active glasses on 3D-capable HDTVs, as well as in full HD 2D on non-3D displays. Features new to the camcorder include geotagging with built-in GPS receiver & NAVTEQ® maps, 10x optical zoom in 2D/3D with 12x extended zoom in 3D and 17x extended zoom in 2D, Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization with Active Mode, and manual setting controls, among others.
Advanced Optics & Intelligent Features
With sleek, compact designs and a refined level of optical performance, Sony continues to introduce best-in-class features that set Handycam camcorders apart from the competition.
The following new technologies will be integrated among select models in the lineup:
· Balanced Optical SteadyShot™ – controls the entire optical path as one floating unit to improve image stabilization by up to 13 times better than its predecessor
· By Pixel Super Resolution – creating higher pixel count in still images by referencing hundreds of samples in database to generate pixels closer to reality
· Closer Voice – Utilizes Face Detection, which detects people in a scene, and advanced audio processing to suppress unwanted noise and capture human voices with maximum clarity
· Auto Wind Noise Reduction – iAUTO intelligently detects wind noise based on wind strength while employing a new algorithm to broaden the range of noise reduced
· Extended Zoom – improved BIONZ processor for up to 20 percent more powerful zooming capability
· Built-in USB cable – convenient USB cable built into camcorder strap for easy content transfer and quick charge
· GPS w/ Enhanced NAVTEQ Maps – Built-in GPS for geotagging with embedded NAVTEQ Maps for detailed maps that will display street-level shooting locations
The following carry-forward technologies will be integrated across the entire lineup:
· Full HD Video – 1920 x 1080 high-definition video recording
· "Exmor R" CMOS sensor – back-illuminated sensor for stunning low light performance
· Dual Record – allows for simultaneous capture of video and still images
· Large LCD – display for easy viewing and touch operation
· iAUTO – automatic selection of optimal camcorder settings in different environments
· Tracking Focus – extension of Face Detection to choose an object by touching LCD and have the focus follow selected object
· Optical SteadyShot™ with Active Mode – compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto in CX250 models and above
· Wide angle lens – offers a broader perspective to capture everything in the shot
High Definition Camcorder Portfolio
Sony continues to offer superior engineering in its HD models and is adding a new Entry HD camcorder segment at an attractive price with four models, a Step-Up HD category with three models, Mid HD options with two models, four High End HD models, and a Double Full HD 3D camcorder.
· HDR-CX190: Full HD, 5.3-megapixels, "Exmor R" CMOS sensor and 30x Extended Zoom – about $330
· HDR-CX210: With 8GB flash memory – about $400 (in black, blue, red and silver)
· HDR-PJ200: With built-in projector, large speakers (0GB) – about $500
· HDR-CX250: 8.9-megapixels, wide angle 29.8mm, Optical SteadyShot, Closer Voice, Auto Wind Noise Reduction, 55x Extended Zoom, and mic jack – about $500
· HDR-CX260V: 16GB flash memory, 8.9-megapixels, wide angle 29.8mm, Optical SteadyShot, Closer Voice, Auto Wind Noise Reduction, 55x Extended Zoom, and mic jack – about $580 (in black & white)
· HDR-XR260V: With 160GB hard disk drive memory – about $700
· HDR-PJ260V: With built-in projector, stereo speaker and 5.1 ch mic – about $680
· HDR-CX580V: 32 GB flash memory, 20.4-megapixels, wide angle 26.8mm, 3.0" XtraFine LCD (921K), Cinema tone (gamma/color) and Zebra/Peaking – about $800
· HDR-PJ580V: With built-in projector – about $900
High End HD
· HDR-PJ710V: 32GB flash memory, 24.1-megapixels, wide angle 26.0mm, Balanced Optical SteadyShot, 26.0mm Wide Carl Zeiss lens, and built-in projector – about $1300
· HDR-PJ760V: With built-in projector – about $1600
Double Full HD 3D
· HDR-TD20V: 64GB flash memory and 20.4-megapixels, with 3D/2D video capture – about $1500
New Storage and Post-Shooting Options
All of Sony's camcorders can record video and still images directly to Memory Stick PRO Duo™ media, Secure Digital (SD), or SDHC media card (all sold separately) in addition to embedded memory. A built-in USB cable is featured across the line for easy web upload and quick charge, as well as Highlight Playback which creates movies out of your videos with transitions.
New to this year's portfolio is PlayMemories Online™, a Sony network service available in Spring 2012 that allows users to view their content from various devices such as a smartphone, tablet, PC, and TV at anytime. Simply upload all photos and videos to PlayMemories Online cloud service, and enjoy viewing them virtually anywhere, anytime. It is the ultimate source for all memories.
Handycam camcorders are compatible with both PC and Mac® computers. Mac users can transfer AVCHD content and edit video clips in HD quality using iMovie® software. For PC users, the PlayMemories Home software allows viewing, editing, organizing and uploading images to many major video and photo sharing Web sites.
Also featured on all models, the Direct Copy feature provides automatic content transfer from Handycam camcorders, without a PC, to Sony's new 500 GB external hard drive optimized for use with Sony products (HDEG-5U available for about $139.99). Direct Copy also lets you copy footage directly to any brand of external hard disk drive (USB2.0; under2TB) via a USB cable (VMC-UAM1; sold separately except HDR-TD20V), when connected to AC power, for PC-free back-up and archiving. Video stored on the external HDD can be played back through the camcorder for viewing on a compatible TV.
The new high definition camcorder lineup and their accessories will be available in March, starting off at only about $330, at http://store.sony.ca/, Sony Store retail stores and participating retailers across
Press releases are available for news media on the Sony of Canada news and information website at http://sony.ca/presscentre .
About Sony of Canada Ltd.
Established in 1955, Sony of Canada Ltd. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation, of
Sony is one of the most comprehensive entertainment companies in the world with a portfolio that includes electronics, music, movies, games and online businesses. With headquarters in
Public Relations Specialist
Sony of Canada Ltd.